11.04.2011

a baby and corn pudding


October was a really great month for my family.  We welcomed the sweetest baby girl into our family.  My husband was able to have a couple weeks of paternity leave, which was wonderful.  My 2.5 year old has fallen in love with his baby sister, but has given his parents a run for their money!  Now that life is getting back to our new normal, he's doing a better job remembering the rules.  I can't complain, he has fared this change much better than I expected- although I think we've permanently traumatized him when we woke up to him carrying his 2 week old sister around our room in the middle of the night (my heart still races at this thought).


Those 31 days went by way too fast, I can't believe it is already November!  We'll be hosting my in-laws for Thanksgiving this year, and I've already begun to menu plan.  I wanted to share some the dishes we'll be eating for Thanksgiving, and this first one is my absolute favorite!


This corn pudding recipe is one that has been on my family's Thanksgiving table ever since I can remember.  It is sweet and delicious, and I could eat the whole dish (but since it is my husband's favorite too, he always forces me to share it with him).  The recipe comes from a cookbook my mom and her friends created as a fundraiser for my elementary school.  21 years later, I use this cookbook more than any other cookbook.  The original recipe was from our family friend, Mrs. Welch, but there have been changes made to the recipe in my mom's handwriting.  So for crediting sake, I'll say it's my mom's version of Mrs. Welch's recipe- I guess this is right?

Corn Pudding
serves 6

3 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 heaping Tablespoon flour (I use unbleached all-purpose)
dash of nutmeg
pinch of salt
3 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cans creamed corn

Preheat oven to 350 .  Melt 3 Tablespoons butter in casserole dish.  Mix sugar, flour, nutmeg and salt together.  Stir in beaten eggs.  Mix in milk, vanilla, and creamed corn.  Pour mixture into the casserole with melted butter and stir.  Bake 45-60 minutes, or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment